I have always loved American holidays. I especially love the ones where we honor those who have served, or are currently serving, in the military on behalf of our beloved country. Living in DC has continuously reminded me to appreciate our freedoms and those who defend those freedoms. Which is why I wanted to celebrate this Memorial Day by taking a walk through Arlington National Cemetery.
Eric and I headed out our front door to walk to the cemetery entrance gate in Ft. Meyer, which is only a 10 minute walk from our door to the gate. We were told by the guards that the cemetery was not open for walkers until later that day, and that we must board the military bus at the gate to take us in to the Memorial Day service. We had not planned on attending this service, but decided on a whim to go for it.
Once we got to the cemetery amphitheater, which is a beautiful marble structure, we found a shady little spot on the rim to stand while we waited for the President and the First Lady. We came prepared with sunscreen and plenty of water to combat the high heat/humidity/haze index for the day.
Upon the President's arrival, we heard the 21 gun salute and waited for him to lay the wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier before his speech. At this point, I was feeling extremely hot, dizzy, and nauseated, but I was determined to make it through. Just as the President was making his way to the lectern, I leaned over to Eric and told him I needed to exit the premises immediately. Within three steps of trying to weave my way through the crowd, I fainted and fell into a marble pillar and the hands of complete strangers.
No more than 30 seconds has passed before a military medic came to escort me to the Red Cross tent. (These guys are on top of things, let me tell you.) As I held on to his arm to go down the stairs, I fainted again, and they had to send another military medic to help him carry me (I promise I do not weigh as much as a cow). Maybe it was my foggy head, but I swear these men were twice the size of Eric in height and stature. They wouldn't let Eric help carry me down (and he is not lacking in the muscle department.) Once I got to the Red Cross tent, I was informed that I was the first person of the day to faint, and once one faints, they all start fainting. Wonderful for me, as I was incredibly embarrassed to have even fainted at all, let alone be the first domino to start the trend. But I must say, I got excellent treatment from these EMT's. They took all my vitals, gave me lots of water to drink, and monitored me frequently. Being a healthy person who carries water everywhere I go, I was shocked to be that person who fainted due to heat and dehydration.
But while most people celebrated their Memorial Day thinking about their gratitude for the military, I got to put them to work in saving my helpless, fainting self. I didn't get to see the President give his speech, but I did get to thank two active military medics and several Red Cross EMT's in person at Arlington Cemetery. At least now I have a good story to tell about the day I fainted and had to be carried off by two military men during the President of the United States' speech.



3 comments:
Whoa! How crazy!
I can't believe you guys live so close to the cemetery! That's so cool!
I drank extra water today because of this story!
Have I told you how badly I want to visit DC? Its pretty cool you got to faint there;-) So glad you were okay.
Time to update the blog, pretty girl:-)
Post a Comment